Frequently Asked Questions
1.What is National Cadet Corps ?
The National Cadet Corps (NCC) is a youth development movement. It has enormous potential for nation building. The NCC provides opportunities to the youth of the country for their all-round development with a sense of Duty, Commitment, Dedication, Discipline and Moral Values so that they become able leaders and useful citizens.
The NCC provides exposure to the cadets in a wide range of activities., with a distinct emphasis on Social Services, Discipline and Adventure Training.
The NCC is open to all regular students of schools and colleges on a voluntary basis. The students have no liability for active military service.
2. When did National Cadet Corps Come into existence ?
The National Cadets Corps came into existence under the National Cadet Corps Act XXXI of 1948 (passed in April, 1948; came into existence on 16th July, 1948 ).
3. What is the nature of the NCC Programme, whether compulsory or voluntary ?
4. Is the NCC Programme part of the Educational activity or is it a part of military activity ?
5.What is/are the Aim(s) of NCC ?
1.To develop character, commandership, discipline , leadership, secular outlook , sprit of adventure and the ideals of selfless service amongst the youth of the country.
2.To create a human resource of organized, trained and motivate youth to provide leadership in all walks of life and always available for the service of the nation .
3.To provide a suitable environment to motivate the youth to take up a career in the Armed Forces.
6.What is the Motto of NCC ?
The motto of NCC is:“ UNITY AND DISCIPLINE”.
7.What is the NCC symbol/insignia ?
It is the NCC Crest in gold in the middle, with the letters “ NCC ”; encircled by a wreath of seventeen lotus with a background in Red, Blue and Light blue.
8.What does the colour Red depicts in the NCC Crest ?
Red depicts the Army.
9.What do the colours Dark Blue and Light blue in the NCC Crest depict?
Deep Blue depicts the Navy and Light Blue depicts the Air Force.
10.What do the Lotus flowers depicts in NCC Crest ?
The seventeen lotuses represent the 17 State Directorates.
11.When is the NCC Day observed ?
The NCC Day is observed on the last Sunday of November.
12.Which Ministry at the National level deals with NCC ?
The Ministry of Defence.
13.Which Ministry deals with NCC in Kerala State ?
14.What are the arrangements for Finances/Funds for NCC ?
The funds are shared by the Central and State Govts.
15.What is Directorate General NCC ?
It is the national level HQ.
16.What is the composition of Directorate General NCC?
It is headed the Director General (DG), an Army Officer of the rank of Lieutnant General. The DG is assisted by two Additional Directors General (ADG), one a Major General from the Army and other a Rear Admiral from the Navy or an Air Vice Marshal from the Air Force. The Director General has a staff which is drawn from the three services - Army, Navy and Air Force. There are five Deputy Directors General (DD’sG) of the rank of Brigadier and equivalent, of which three are Brigadiers and one either a Commodore( Navy) or an Air Commodore(Air Force) and one a civilian officer.
17.Where is the NCC Headquarter at the National level located ?
At New Delhi.
18.What is a NCC Directorate ?
The NCC at the state level is divided into 17 Directorates, in which each state or group of states forms a Directorate. The smaller states and union territories are attached with Directorates of the bigger states. Each Directorate is under the command of an Officer equivalent to the rank of a Brigadier (being upgraded to the rank of Major General) or its equivalent from the other two Services.
19.Where is the NCC Headquarter at the State level in Kerala located?
20.What is the jurisdiction of the Kerala NCC Directorate?
This Directorate is also responsible for NCC activities in Lakshadweep.
21.What is a NCC Group ?
The Directorates are further sub-divided into Groups, which varies according to the size of the state, each under the command of an Officer equivalent to the rank of Colonel ( being upgraded to the rank of Brigadier). In all, there are 95 Group HQ’s in the country.
22.What is the composition of a NCC Group ?
A Group consists of NCC Battalions, Air Force & Naval units. Other than the Group Commander, each Group HQ has an Administrative Officer and a Training Officer with ranks of either a Lieutenant Colonel or a Major.
23. What is a NCC unit and what is its composition?
The Groups are further sub-divided into Battalions, each commanded by a Lt Col or its equivalent from the other two Services, and an Officer of the rank of Lieutenant Colonel or Major as the Administrative Officer. Each Battalion also has a number of Junior Commissioned Officer’s (JCO’s) and Non-Commissioned Officer’s (NCO’s) known as “Permanent Instructors ( PI) Staff”, senior-most JCO being of the rank of Subedar Major.
24. What all are the types of NCC unit’s in Kerala?
The types of NCC unit’s in Kerala are: 33 Army, 05 Navy and one Air Force units; among the Army units there is also one Remount & Veterinary Squadron.
25. What is the student in NCC known as?
A student enrolled into NCC is referred to as a “Cadet” [Section 6 of Act XXXI of 1948 refers
26. What in NCC is a Senior Division (SD)?
That Division of NCC, to which male students from Colleges and Plus Two institutions( XI and XII classes) are enrolled, is referred as a Senior Division (SD)
27. What in NCC is a Senior Wing(SW)?
That Division of NCC, to which female students from Colleges and Plus Two institutions( XI and XII classes) are enrolled, is referred as a Senior Wing (SW)?
28. What in NCC is a Junior Division (JD)?
That Division of NCC, to which male students from schools ( of 13 Years or more of age) are enrolled, is referred as a Junior Division (JD)
29. What is a NCC Company ?
The basic functional sub-unit in colleges and Plus Two institutions, having SW/SD Cadets is a Company. It is mandatory that the cadets of a particular company are from the same institution having the sub-unit. However, there is a provision for a system of giving Open Vacancy specifically to a NCC Sub-unit of some institutions, as a special case, where students from other institutions which are not holding NCC can also join.
30. What is a NCC Troop ?
The basic functional sub-unit in schools, having JW/JD Cadets, is a Troop.
31. How many NCC units can be allotted to an institution?
There are no fixed numbers.
32. What are the Teacher’s/Instructors (at the Schools) and Lecturers/ Professors/ Instructors (at the Colleges) with the NCC known as ?
They are referred to as: Associate NCC Officers ( ANO’s).
33. Who is responsible for the conduct of NCC activities in an institution?
The ANO. He is in control of the cadets and is responsible to plan and organize training with the assistance of the Permanent Instructional (PI) staff, detailed by the NCC unit.
34. NCC Officer (ANO) is the main key functionary of NCC in Colleges/ Schools. What role does the Head Master/Principal play in the implementation of this program ?
Since NCC is a part of the educational programme, the primary responsibility rests with the Principal/ Headmaster. Their close association with all the activities of the sub-unit in their institution will facilitate the former doing well. Periodic visit to parades, formal inspection of the sub unit once a month on a fixed day, visit to training camps in which his/her sub- unit is participating and so on will significantly contribute in achieving the Aims of the NCC programme.
35. Do ANO’s get orientation training enabling them to undertake their NCC responsibilities?
36. What is the age limit for a student to join NCC ?
For JD/JW Cadets : 13-18.5 Years
For SD/SW Cadets : Upto 24 years of age.
37. Are there any Physical Criterion for a Student to join NCC ? If so what are they ?
Yes. They are specified at Rule 5(d) and 6(d) of the NCC Rules.
38. Are any fees to be paid for enrolment as an NCC Cadet ?
No fees are to be paid. A token amount of money as yearly Regimental subscription and Cadet Welfare Society contribution is required to be paid by every cadet.
39. What is the duration of the NCC Programme as an NCC Cadet ?
For JD/JW Cadets : Two Years.
For SD/SW Cadets : Two Years with one year extension
40. What sort of activities are undertaken in NCC?
Activities in NCC are categorized as under:-
(a) Institutional Training
(b) Camp Training
(C) Attachment Training (Service Unit)
(d) Air wing Training
(e) Naval wing Training
(f) Social Service and Community Development Activities.
(g) Youth Exchange Program
(h) Conduct of Republic Day Camp
(i) Conduct of course at OTA Kamptee and OTA Gwalior for ANO’s.
(j) Career Counselling and Personality Development..
(k) Remount & Veterinary Unit Training.
(l) Conduct of Certificate Examinations.
(m) Conduct of Adventure Activities.
[ For details See…..]
41. What are the adventure activities in NCC ?
42. What is the uniform in NCC ?
Army cadets wear khaki uniform. Naval cadets wear white uniform of Navy. Air Force cadets wear blue uniform similar to the Air Force.
43. Is it compulsory to wear NCC uniform?
44. What all are the authorized benefits and incentives for an NCC Cadet?
Please See complete List…..
45. As a JD/JW Cadet what NCC certificate will I earn?
46. As a SD/SW cadet what NCC certificate(s) will I earn ?
‘B’and ‘C’ Certificates.
47. Is it compulsory to attend NCC Camps?
48. What are the various types of Camps in NCC?
(a) Annual Training Camp (ATC)
(b) Centrally Organised Camps (COC)
(i) Leadership Camps
(ii) Vayu Sainik Camp
(iii) Nau Sainik Camp
(iv) Rock Climbing Camps
(v) National Integration Camps (NIC)
(vi) Thal Sainik Camps(TSC)
49. Can I get any award for some extraordinary work/performance?
Merit and extraordinary work/performance is duly recognized at every level (at the Sub-Unit/ Unit/ Group/ Directorate/ HQ DGNCC levels) and is adequately rewarded/awarded in the NCC. For details contact your OC/CO Unit.
50. Can I get any chance for visiting other States in the country or abroad? How ?
Yes. If you are selected for Centrally Organised Camps/ Youth Exchange Programmes
51. How will NCC be useful in developing my personality?
Plese see the Aims of NCC at FAQ 5.
52. How can I participate in the Republic Day Parade at Rajpath in New Delhi ?
A cadet selected as a member of the Directorate contingent, for the
Republic Day Camp at Delhi, can be selected for the Republic Day Parade at Rajpath in New Delhi.
53. Does NCC organize National Integration Camps?
54. What is Youth Exchange Programme with other countries ?
[ For details See…..]
55. Does NCC celebrate International and National days, Weeks etc ?
56. I have seen NCC cadets cleaning the roads, Schools/hospitals premises, collecting, digging pots etc, are they labourers?
57. Am I supposed to participate in election campaigns, rallies as an NCC Cadet?
58. Am I supposed to administer injections during immunization programmes ?
59. Can I involve myself in ‘Tree Plantations’; How many saplings will I have to plant in a year and will I get any certificate ?
Yes. There are no fixed numbers. A certificate is awarded.
60. Will I get some extra days for preparation of my exams in lieu of the days & time devoted by me in the NCC Pre-RD and RD Camps?
No. However, Grace Marks are awarded to NCC Cadets in SSLC, Two and University Exams.
61. Can I donate blood during Blood Donation camps?
62. Is it compulsory to donate blood for an NCC cadet?
63. Is it compulsory to donate organs for an NCC cadet?
64. Is Army, Air Force and Navy training given to an NCC cadet, and if so with what purpose ?
Yes. It exposes cadets to a regimented way of life which is essential for inculcating the values of discipline, dutifulness, punctuality, orderliness, smartness, respect for rightful authority, good and correct work ethos and self-confidence..
65. If I join NCC is it compulsory for me to join the Armed Forces thereafter?
66. How many States/UT’s does NCC cover all over the country?
All the states and Union Territories.
67. What is the present allocation of NCC cadets in the country ?
68. What is the present allocation of NCC cadets in Kerala & Lakshadweep?
The figure is 74710
69. Is this scheme applicable to only Govt Schools & Colleges?
No. However financial arrangements with regard to expenditures varies depending on the type of the institution.
70. How many Colleges and schools in Kerala & Lakshadweep have the NCC Programme?
Schools 483 07
Colleges 226 01
71. What sort of remuneration does an ANO get in NCC?
Remunerations received are:-
(a) Monthly Honorarium.
(b) Outfit Allowance.
(c) Outfit Maintenance Allowance.
(d) Travel and Messing Expenses for Pre-commission and Refresher courses.
(e) Rank Pay during Camps.
(f) TA and DA for journey for move to/ move back from camps.
72. Do NCC units have any connection with other voluntary organizations?
Yes; in implementing Community Development and Social service activities.
73. Do NCC units coordinate with other Govt. agencies for accomplishment of undertaken projects in adopted areas/slums.
74. Are NCC cadets exposed to work in Natural disasters & calamities ?
75. Can I ever get any chance to meet some eminent personalities/ celebrities while working in NCC?
76. Does the Vice-Chancellor of the universities have any role in implementation of the NCC Programme?
Yes. In addition to being a member of the State Advisory Committee ( SAC), the VC’s are vested with a range of Administrative and Disciplinary functions/ powers under the NCC Act (Act XXXI of 1948)